Box vs Dropbox

I've been using both Box and Dropbox for a number of years. Pretty much in the same capacity. Had you asked me two years ago which was best, at the drop of a hat and without doubt I'd have gone with dropbox. I would have understood however if Windows owners would have argued that Box was better, but as a Mac user, the sync function was miles behind Dropbox and riddled with bugs, at least for me it was.
I have persevered though, eventually I got the app running satisfactorily, and have ran the two applications pretty much side by side. I've been rewarded with massive allowances from purchasing HTC handsets by dropbox, but have stuck with my generous allowance that Box gave me from the outset. Unbeknown to me, the dropbox allowances were only temporary though and have recently been taken off me. However logging in with an upgraded handset has restored similar allowances, but, for me, dropbox is currently a temporary cloud world.
Now however, it's a tougher decision to say which is best. Box have caught up and the sync feature has worked without a problem. Up until today.
I'd looked at some of the files I'd recently backed up on Box.net through the fine looking and easy to use iPhone App. I'd worried in the past that Box.net servers were slow, but today, flicking through pics at a reasonable pace was acceptable. On the Mac however, for no apparent reason, login wasn't possible, even after a re-boot. I was getting the error message that I couldn't log in. I checked the password was correct and re-installed the box. sync software. Just before I'd read messages about users losing all of their files!!

The sync features seemed to be broken, I was at a loss and the pics I'd spent hours uploading were sat in a file that had been renamed as a backup, then, from out of nowhere, a notification box came up to advise me, the clever box sync software had realised, that the files were all in the wrong place. It advised me to do nothing, whilst it moved them to the new sync folder.

This is all very clever, and most impressive, however, I have realised the pain this is going to cause me when I next open Adobe Elements Organizer (It doesn't like users moving files around in the background). Not ideal, but I can't blame the sync software. Box has preserved my files and restored/moved them into the box sync folder.

I think Dropbox still has the edge on dependability, but Box.net on the Mac at least is a far better user experience than it's ever been before. For me, it's still down as the most value per GB and as I was one of the first to open a Box.net account, I've got a whopping allowance. If I had to put my hand in my pocket though, I'd probably opt for Dropbox still.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to motivate an Autistic person.

Rough Cuts Ltd - end of aerial services.

Kogeto Dot thing