Mac Owners - The end is nigh - Catalina. Don't UPGRADE until you read this...

EDIT
** AUGUST 2019 - MS OFFICE ADDED TO THE LIST **

This morning (10/7/2019) I have taken the shrewd advice from Apple's beta program and installed the Beta of Mac OS Catalina on my secondary Mac (an Air), not my main iMac.

And I'm really glad I did.

Apple have had subtle warnings that have said 'This program will not work with future updates of Mac OS - The developer needs to update this app to work".

THIS IS WORTH MAKING A NOTE OF. 


So Why? What's happening? 

The new version of Mac OS is going to be for 64 bit programs only. 32 bit programs will no longer work.

So what will be affected? 

This depends entirely on what you use your Mac for and which programs you use. This list is what has happened on my Mac and what it will mean I will have to do now.

0) ** Microsoft Office 2011 ** At the time of writing I hadn't noticed, as the apps for this are in a folder in the applications folder. But this is the big one. Many people rely on Office for work, and an upgrade could cost as much as £200. But the simple fact is, all of your work and documents may have to suffer a clumsy conversion to pages, keynote or numbers. Which would mean formatting awry and missing fonts.
Office 2011 is NOT compatible with Mac OS Mojave.


1) Logitech Harmony Remote Software - I have a Logitech remote which I have used for many years. It serves us well and although it's a pain to set up, it did work well when it was new.
However, if I want to change the settings of the remote, the only way to do it was via this app. I've checked the Logitech website and there is no 64 bit version of the software - (even the 32bit uninstaller doesn't work)
So this technology will likely become obsolete.
Upshot - The new remotes of equivalent function are around £100 each. Eeeek!

2) HDRtist - This is a simple program I used for combining multi exposure images to create a stunning HDR image. Indeed my desktop wallpaper I'm seeing as I type this was made with it.
No update available - last update 7 years ago.
Upshot - Will need to hunt for and purchase new software for this.

3) iDVD - Ok, so my use of iDVD was very infrequent, although one school I work for still asks me to create DVD's for their Year 6 leavers service.
Upshot - Will need to find new software for burning DVD's, creating menu's; opportunity to find BluRay burning software. May buy a Blu Ray burner/software bundle.

4) iWeb - I have one client who I still use iWeb for. This is a very old, but perfectly effective program for managing website, but Wix do the same thing, almost as well (seriously iWeb was REALLY simple).
Upshot - I have emailed the client and let them know we will need to do something before Autumn.

5) Digital Viewer - Simple software I use in school, to let pupils see what a TTS - EasiScope digital Microscope uses.
Upshot - Found free updated software on TTS website as the device is still on sale. Phew!

6) Grand perspective - Software used for visualising content on a computer.
Upshot - Found updated 64 bit software on website.

7) Netgear powerline software - This software let me see if the power line adaptors I have on my home network are connected, encrypted and working ok.
Upshot - I no longer have Netgear power line adaptors, I swapped to Devolo. Not a problem for me, so I just uninstalled it.

8) Google Photos - Using for synchronising images off my Mac to the google photos service.
Upshot - stopped using this a while back. Would be useful though as google photos service is changing from Drive - will need some investigative work for a good solution.

9) Google Music Manager - This I still do use. It synchronises my Music with the Google Play Music service.
Upshot - Update available - done.

Conclusion - Mojave is the last version of Mac OS that will support 32 bit programs.

What to duo now?

Click the Apple Logo - About this Mac - System report and select (under software) Applications to identify those apps that are 64bit (see pic), and have a plan for updating or replacing them. If your work relies on you using 32bit applications that are no longer being upgraded.
Hold off upgrading to Catalina until you have an alternative program you can use.

If I can help at all, let me know.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to motivate an Autistic person.

Kogeto Dot thing

Rough Cuts Ltd - end of aerial services.