Free online storage

Over the last few weeks, I've been exploring options for free online storage. Previously, I've been a keen advocate of Dropbox. So keen in fact that they've upped my storage allowance from the stadard 2gb to over 6gb, simply because I've successfully referred so many new customers. Dropbox has a simple app which creates a folder on your Mac, within your home folder, which simply stays up to date with their servers. Mp3's are indexed, so when you put them into a folder, although they eat into your allowance and do show as on your hard drive, they're simply pulled from a catalogue of pre stored Mp3's on Dropbox servers. So they sync pretty much instantly. There is also a dropbox iphone app, which can be pin protected and the same program also works well on PC. Folders can also be shared with other Dropbox users by right clicking and selecting sharing options. Humyo is a similar service which offers a far more generous 10Gb of storage, although its split, 50% for documents, 50% for media files, so don't expect to be able to back up 10Gb of photos or video, disappointingly, they now charge for the sync program. So for the purpose of this test, they're out.
Microsoft however allow a whopping 25Gb of storage space, but only 5Gb can be 'synchronised' with your PC or Mac, through a program called Windows Live Mesh. Unlike Dropbox (and oddly other Windows programs) it installs, the Mac way, by simply dragging the app to your app folder. When you load it, you simply enter your Windows Live ID and the program presents you with an options window..... choose a folder to sync. Wow; So simple.
I created a folder, selected sync, got the message about only 5Gb being free and clicked done. I renamed the folder, that didn't confuse it. I added files.... and they sync'd. As easily as dropbox. Like a Mac..... It just works. A quick butchers at the iPhone App store and disappointingly, but maybe unsurprisingly there is no iPhone app.

When files are synced using Windows Live Mesh, the actual file icons remain static. The main icon in the menu bar at the top rotates however to let you know its synchronising. Within the Dropbox folder, the actual files have a small icon next to them that clearly indicate if they're still synchronising or if they're done.

As a faithful customer of Dropbox, I have to admit, if I was starting out afresh with online storage, and 5gb was all I needed, I'd be tempted to use Live Mesh. But, considering I've earned 6Gb with Dropbox, and there's an iphone app too. I see little point in swapping. Although I will most likely use both.

Impressive stuff from both Microsoft and Dropbox.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kogeto Dot thing

How to motivate an Autistic person.

Rough Cuts Ltd - end of aerial services.